Reports to: Project Manager
Main objectives: Estimate and monitor construction costs from the project feasibility stage, through tender preparation, to the construction period and beyond.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Prepare preliminary cost estimates from sketches and statements of requirements.
- Prepare detailed cost plans and estimates as tools for budgetary control.
- Prepare material lists, produce bills of quantities for tendering purposes and advise clients on tenders when received.
- Administer construction contracts and measure and approve progress payments.
- Monitor changes of design, assess effects on cost, and measures, values and negotiates variations to designs.
- Advise on costs of alterations to existing buildings or structures, on various materials and construction methods, and on alternative contractual procedures and clauses.
- Liaise with subcontractors, prepare appropriate pricing packages and evaluate subcontract bids.
- Prepare a statement of final account recording the actual costs of the project.
Typical qualifications and experience: National Diploma in Quantity Surveying or a Bachelor of Construction (Economics or Quantity Surveying). Membership of NZIQS. Minimum three years in the industry.