CO06 Civil Engineer (Qualified 2-5 Years)
Main objectives: Design, plan, organise and oversee the construction of civil engineering projects such as dams, bridges, pipelines, gas and water supply schemes, sewerage systems, roads, airports and other structures.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Determine construction methods, materials and quality standards, and draft and interpret specifications, drawings, plans, construction methods and procedures.
- Calculate stresses and strains implicit in or affecting proposed structures.
- Organise and direct site labour and the delivery of construction materials, plant and equipment, and establish detailed programmes for the coordination of site activities.
- Study, evaluate and report on the environmental implications of projects.
- Set up work control systems to ensure that standards of performance, quality, cost and safety are met.
- Consult with other engineers, architects, landscape architects and environmental scientists.
- Research, investigate and evaluate materials, processes or systems related to civil engineering works.
- Plan, organise and supervise maintenance and repair work on existing structures.
- Supervise the testing and commissioning of completed works.
Typical qualifications and experience: Three to four year University degree in a Bachelor of Engineering – BE or a Bachelor of Engineering Honours – BE(Hons) and/or registration. Two to five years post graduate experience.