Main objectives: Design highways and streets, plan, organise, and supervise their construction, maintenance, repair and operation.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Specialise in design, construction, maintenance, repair and traffic management of urban, rural or trunk roads, studying projects and assessing broad requirements.
- May design, construct, maintain and repair bridges, viaducts, tunnels, waterways, signals, signs and other roadway structures and utilities.
- Produce project evaluation and feasibility reports for proposed construction program candidates.
- Prepare contracts and advise project manager and contractor on design and technical issues as and when required during construction phase.
- Design road pavements and surfacing materials.
Typical qualifications and experience: Four year university degree in Civil Engineering, a three year training programme leading to a full professional qualification and/or registration.