Main objectives: Assemble, install and maintain pipes, fittings and fixtures of drainage, heating, ventilation, water supply and disposal, gas supply, flues, metal roofing, cladding and flashing sanitary systems and other mechanical service systems. Design plumbing systems. (Classification note: Includes gas fitters who are also plumbers).
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Examine drawings and specifications, locate and mark positions of pipes, pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors.
- Cut reams, threads and shapes pipes, assemble and install valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals such as iron, copper, steel, brass and lead, and non-metals such as glass and plastic.
- Cut openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings.
- Join pipes and fittings using screws, bolts and couplings or by brazing and welding.
- Caulk joints and tests them for leaks with air and water pressure gauges.
- Install and maintain hot water and heating systems, such as hot water tanks, central heating, gas heaters and heat pumps.
- Fit flashings and weatherings, rainwater spouting and downpipes.
- Install fixtures such as gas stoves, toilets, basins, septic tanks and air-conditioning systems.
Typical qualifications and experience: National Certificate in Plumbing and Gasfitting, and pass the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board examinations.