Main objectives: Install, maintain and repair electrical wiring and electronic components in motor vehicles.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Use test equipment to locate electrical and electronic malfunctions.
- Dismantle and removing electrical and electronic assemblies and components.
- Install electrical equipment and electronic components in motor vehicles.
- Connect power-operated vehicle equipment and accessories to power supply.
- Adjust engine control systems and timing.
- Test and replace defective alternators, generators, voltage regulators and starter motors.
- Repair or replace faulty ignition and electrical wiring, and defective parts such as fuses, lamps and switches.
Typical qualifications and experience: Level 4 National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Electrical and Mechanical Engineering) with strand in Electrical and Electronics.