Main objectives: A qualified tradesperson who maintains and installs all forms of automotive vehicles and machinery including associated ancillary equipment, but not including a person employed primarily as an auto electrician.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Diagnose mechanical, electrical and other faults in motor vehicles.
- Dismantle engines, parts or systems requiring attention.
- Rebuild, repair or replace any faulty parts or systems.
- Undertake regular maintenance of motor vehicles and other motors such as tuning, greasing and oil changes.
- Complete forms regarding service to be undertaken on vehicles. May liase with customers giving advice and quotes regarding vehicle servicing.
- May obtain automotive parts and maintain parts reorders.
- May install, inspect or repair alternative fuel systems.
- May assist in training apprentices.
Typical qualifications and experience: Trade Certificate or Level 4 National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Electrical and Mechanical Engineering).