Reports to: Library Manager/Senior Librarian
Main objectives: To provide quality library services to a local authority, educational institution, staff/students or businesses.
Typical functions and responsibilities: In smaller libraries incumbents may be responsible for most or all of the following while in larger libraries incumbents are likely to have a specialised role encompassing only some of the areas listed.
- Provide day-to-day library services to the community.
- Research information for customers (mainly in corporate or law libraries).
- Recommend the acquisition of new books and other library resources.
- Catalogue and classify new purchases according to accepted library practice.
- Maintain some or all of the library’s collection of books and materials according to approved standards.
- Update and maintain electronic resources and databases.
- Assist with the development of library services to meet future community needs by reviewing changes in Technology, materials and information sources and monitoring the use of existing facilities.
Typical qualifications and experience: Diploma in Library and Information Studies (Level 5), undergraduate library qualification or postgraduate degree in library and information studies. May register with The Library and Information Association of New Zealand Aotearoa (LIANZA).