Reports to: Production Foreperson/Leading Hand
Supervises: May supervise other operators on same station
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Highly skilled work requiring considerable training and experience.
- Read gauges, writes reports, makes fine adjustments.
- Set up, start, operate, control and stop machines and plant.
- Carry out minor repairs and corrections to machinery and equipment.
- Ensure a consistent quality throughout the production process.
- Make sure the finished product meets the company’s or client’s specifications.
- Ensure safety requirements are met.
- May rank as leading hand, be partly responsible for and/or train operators, or be in charge of quality and quantity of work process.
Examples: Timber processing machine operator; timber grader; timber preservation plant operator; pulp and paper production; refinery operator; power plant operator; boiler attendant; electroplater; furnace operator (non metallic); water treatment plant operator; chemical processing plant operator; fibre preparer.
Typical qualifications and experience: At least twelve months on job before competent, could take up to two years before really proficient.