Reports to: Manager, Assistant Manager
Main objectives: Provide advice, advocacy and support to people with personal and social problems. Work to advance the well-being of children, young people, their families and communities.
Typical functions and responsibilities:
- Help individuals and families to resolve and/or seek solutions to their personal and social problems.
- Cooperate with schools and community services; organise and supervise social, recreational and educational activities in youth clubs and similar organisations.
- Work to ensure the safety of children and young persons, to prevent the development of delinquency in juveniles and to achieve the rehabilitation of juvenile and adult offenders.
- Link people with community resources such as benefits and accommodation.
- Prepare specific reports for courts and carries out orders imposed by courts.
- Use the law to ensure that young people are held accountable for their offences.
Typical qualifications and experience: A recognised qualification in social work and experience in a related occupation or voluntary work. A working knowledge of the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1989 and a members of the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers (ANZASW).